Monday, December 22, 2008

Dad's Perspective




Those of you that know me well know that I'm a man of few spoken words. If I say it, it means it is important to me. So you can imagine how that relates to my written word.

I don't know where to start. I have so many thoughts as I am rested and thinking back on the day. I know most men with wives that are expecting will understand what I mean when I say you will do anything to make your wife comfortable. She was stressed out about the hotel, stressed about not being able to keep up on the blog, and a few other things understandable so. So we were able to fix most of them and it helped her greatly. Which helped me.

God is amazing. We went on a walk to find a shop we had heard about. It took awhile and I was not giving up until we did. It is the one described in Syd's post. The woman gave Shelley about a 30 minute course in the basic sounds of Chinese. With out being asked. As you saw in Shelly's post it came in handy later. She was able to communicate the basics to Asher. Which helped him a lot. God is amazing how he places people in your path that you will need. Hold on I think Asher wants to type. jhgyihukhjkhkkk xcv OK he's done with his first blog. He doesn't stay with one thing too long.

Well it was a short trip to the office to get him but a long one for him. He is from Shinzhen city which is close to Hong Kong about 2.5 hrs from us. Lots of people there. Lots of kids. Very loud and a lot of things going on at the same time. Not a place I even wanted to be think of how the kids must have felt. They rushed us into a "private room" which wasn't all that private but was nice not to have to be out in the middle of everything. Needed to check paperwork and then bang in start coming the kids in two minute intervals. Asher was second. When our eyes met I felt he recognized me from the pictures and it set in what was happening. You have to understand just how loud it is in that place. Think of the most crowded place you have been and then double it. He did not seem comfortable with anything but we were thrilled. My heart just melted.The pictures didn't do this boy any justice. I just wanted to rush to him and squeeze him but I was the camera and video guy and wanted to capture those first few moments when he met Shelley and Sydney. He sure is a sharp little man. Long story short I felt as though the journey was fulfilled and our family was finally complete.
Now things were not pie in the sky and I knew it was ripping my two girls apart. Machelle your comments came at a perfect time for me to prepare and be there for them. Thank you and God bless you. I soon realized nothing I could do was going to take the pain away for our new little guy. So my focus turned to Shelley and Sydney. See I'm the fix it guy in our family. Size up the issue and bring on the solutions and make things right or at least bearable. I got to tell you the streangth my wife showed even impressed me and I know how terrific she is. She was so strong. All I had to to was keep reminding her that he was ours and it was going to be ok. Did I happen to mention that this place is just crazy noisy and at the top of the chart when it comes to sensory overload. Shelley collected important information while Sydney and I tended to Asher. Then I took care of the paticulars while the two girls tended to him. Finally it was time for us to leave and our guide Helen(who is a blessing) spoke a few words to our guy and he took her hand and Sydney's and headed out the door a lot calmer. After a few short steps out the door Shelley took his other hand. I brought up the rear and got to tell you it was cool seeing my family together headed out of there. A unit for the first time. I just wanted to get him out of there. I was so thankful Sydney was there. She is so mature for her years. She did everything she was asked to do which was a lot. Get this, go for that, help with this. We could not have kept track of our stuff or gotten things we needed without her. She is a special one I tell you. I'm blessed.
So we are out of there on the bus and headed away. He is sitting with the girls doing well. I feel we are on the right track. If it wasn't for 3 more days of paperwork and then 2 days of passport red tape they could have taken me to the airport right then. I just want to come home and bring him to his house and see all the many people that are waiting to show him love. I thought I would be ok with spending Christmas here. I'm not. I just want to bring my family home.
To close out. Our first night as a unit was not without hiccups, but was great. I would not trade it for anything. One of them being on a bathroom run. I'm not quite used to a boy and going potty. So we soiled some clothes. I think it was more my fault than his. No big deal we had others and I did better on the next time. Our first dinner together was priceless. The boy can pack in the grub I tell you. And he isn't shy about it. We called it a night about 9:00 pm and we all slept the best we have since we have been here. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and thoughts. The comments have really helped and we love them. We love and miss you all. I can't wait to bring the family home. See you soon but not soon enough.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Your words are priceless. I am sure they will mean the world to Asher when he is older. Thanks for sharing this precious time with all of us. We miss you all terribly and can't wait till you get home. God bless all of you and enjoy the rest of the time you have in China. Love and miss ya!!

Machelle said...

Thanks for sharing Keith. It was cool to read your perspective. Ray felt the same way as you did- he wanted us to jump on the next plane to the USA and head on home. But in retrospect, I'm glad we had the time we did to learn about Celeste's heritage and the wonderful people in China.Enjoy your stay knowing that wherever you are the Spirit is with you. We love you and miss you.

Machelle, Ray and Celeste

mikeanddeb said...

Keith,

Didn't know you had potty problems. Next time take a box of "Depends" with you. Ha! Ha!

I know how much it means to want to fix everything for your wife and family. But God gives us the ability to gain strength from each other. You from Shelley; she from you. We have an Awesome God as you well know and well serve.

I am blessed and very thankful to be your brother in Christ.

I love you all!

Mike

Tim/Leah said...

You're a good man Kieth.I'm glad you all slept well. I pray everything pick up this morning where thing left off last night. Asher looked happy in the last few pics.We will be praying for happiness for you all.We love you all.

Stacy said...

I have enjoyed all of your moments in receiving your son Asher. I have cried and laughed. My heart is overwhelm with joy for your family. God is so great. I can't wait to see you guys. Lots of hugs to you Shelly. Enjoy your time in China where you guys became a family of FOUR. I love you guys. I also loved your Moms message Shelly, is a great Mom.